maandag 19 maart 2012

Character Design and Neuro science and Affactieve science


For a school project we have to design an experience for humans and bees (yes you read that right, also for the bees).
It would be an experience for both with a focus on narrative and play design, also humans should be aware of the ecosystem after this experience.

It is certainly a challenge because we also should reach 50,000 people and 50,000 bees.
For this project I have to write a paper, this paper is one of the parts to be judged before I get my approval to be accepted at the Master of Creative Design for Digital Cultures.

As a Character Designer, it is important that you anticipate to the emotions of the viewer/player. We do this through believable characters who show emotions that we humans ourselves can identify with. During this project I try to anticipate the "emotions" of bees, but to do so I must answer the question whether bees on their way, can experience an emotion and whether we can influence it.

For this I will be researching Neuro science and Affactieve science to perhaps be able to find a scientific explanation for emotion and also to assign it to the bees. In this way I try to capture an image of how bees see this world, feel and experience it and if there is even an emotion present in the bees.

This research will be useful not only for this project, but also for my own development as a Character Designer it will form a solid foundation.

So get ready for a little less art and a lot of Neuro science and Affactieve science :P

4 opmerkingen:

  1. Deze reactie is verwijderd door een blogbeheerder.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. okay, umh... thanks for the comment, I'm not sure exactly how I should interpret this...

    I think you have a spam problem...

    but I have not yet begun the research on emotion.
    I must first establish some research questions, and from there apply methods to find that information. I've talked to several beekeepers, but I would love to interview a neuro scientist to know his vision to of how he sees emotion.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. This sounds like complexity for the sake of being complex.. Just another of those 'unique and creative' HKU assignments :/

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Sounds familiar? :P

    Yes I got the feeling that it is always projects that are impossible, but yet you have the assignment to make them possible any way... sigh ...
    It sure puts your creativity to the test

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen